Even in the cold of February, your home may suffer from moisture. Here’s what you need to know about Basement Weatherproofing in the winter.
While it may be in the single digits here in New England, there’s still a good chance your basement is letting in moisture. At Global Basement Waterproofing, we believe that a dry basement means a happy home, and that mentality doesn’t stop in the winter! While snow removal and de-icing may be your focus in the winter, basement weatherproofing is just as important!
Melting Snow & Ice Damage
The air may feel dry, but on the off chance that winter sun peeks out, snow and ice melt can wreak havoc on your foundation. If your home isn’t weatherproofed, you could spend thousands in repair costs.
Foundation Issues: Your basement may feel dry, but constant freeze & thaw cycles can weaken your foundation walls. Even if you don’t see it, snowmelt can drain through any cracks created from this cycle, causing concrete and cinder-block erosion
Water Damage: Whether your basement is finished or not, water damage is never good.
- Water can damage carpeting, hardwood and laminate flooring, and even concrete. Even if it’s removed, water can warp and bend flooring
- Water can damage drywall and paneling, which may lead to possible warping, bending, and eventual rot
- Excess moisture can cause mold and mildew to develop, which can cause health concerns
- Water can permanently damage anything it touches, including furniture, appliances, and electronics, which can cost thousands to replace or repair
- Don’t forget the electrical hazards! Water can get inside electrical outlets, and this can cause fire and shocking hazards, as well as electrical system failure
Signs your Basement Has Water Damage
Here are some things to look out for in your home during the winter:
- Condensation on the walls, ceiling, fixtures, and other items in the basement
- Water stains on the walls, floor, or ceiling
- Small amounts of water on the floor
- The sound of dripping water
Now is the Time for Basement Weatherproofing!
Is your basement suffering from water damage or moisture due to snowmelt? Keep calm and call the experts! Global Basement Waterproofing in MA is a small, family-owned-and-operated business. Our team of professionals is here to make sure that you and your home are protected from all types of weather. Let us help with all your basement weatherproofing needs!
For more, contact our team at (508) 990-7800 or visit our site to see what else we have to offer! Like our Facebook page for more!